Skip to main content

SQL PASS Summit - a SQL geek vacation?

I'll be attending my first PASS Summit next week in Seattle, WA!

First, I'd like to thank my managers for sending me. Woohoo!

Second, mere words can't express how much I am looking forward to it but maybe this does...

I asked if I had to take my work laptop with me to the Summit.
The reply, "You're not going on vacation."
To this geek, it's damn near a vacation.
I think it's one of those events that I will need a vacation to recover from given how much is planned.

I attended virtually last year.  I watched all the available streaming events, followed the #sqlpass Twitter hashtag and convinced my manager to buy the conference DVDs.

I and many others are again using the #sqlpass hashtag to prepare for this Summit.  I still need to look at the schedule and plan my days but I do know I will definitely want to see Buck Woody and Brent Ozar in the same room doing their presentation.

I want to attend the session on how to write a speaker abstract, also.  I submitted two sessions for this Summit on PowerShell that weren't accepted.  I've enjoyed speaking at several PASS SQL Saturdays and I've set a goal to some day speak at the PASS Summit.  I've learned so much preparing for and participating in SQL Saturdays.  Also, I've gotten to know a great group of people in the process.  Participating in SQL Saturday and Twitter has prepared me to get the most from the PASS Summit because I already know many attendees and they've shared past experiences via these mediums to help the rookies get the most out of the Summit.

Kendal Van Dyke @SQLDBA has some great advice for first time attendees.  He tipped me off to the Light Rail option from the airport to downtown when I asked the SQL tweeps about getting to/from the airport.  He then wrote a blog post to cover a lot of other relevant topics.  Tom LaRock @SQLRockstar has put together the OC (Orientation Committee) and a preview to help the rookies have the best experience.  We meet on Monday before the Welcome Reception.

I'll be arriving Monday afternoon and leaving Friday morning. I'll be tweeting like everyone else so follow @RonDBA and #sqlpass for the live feed.

I'll be participating in "Where your SQL Saturday Shirt Tuesday". Look for the Florida SQL Saturday participants in their "Florida Print" shirts.  Hard to miss.

Looking forward to meeting you all!  Remember, YOU ARE NOT ON VACATION.  LOL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modifying Endpoint URLs on Availability Group Replicas

I recently had to modify the Endpoint URLs on our SQL Server Availability Group replicas.  The reason for this blog post is that I could not answer the following questions: Do I need to suspend data movement prior to making this change?  Would this change require a restart of the database instance? I spent enough time searching on my own to no avail that I tossed the question to the #sqlhelp hashtag on Twitter and Slack but didn't get an answer prior to executing the change request. After reading the relevant documentation, I think it's probably a good idea to suspend data movement for this change. The T-SQL is straightforward.  USE MASTER GO ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [AG1]  MODIFY REPLICA ON 'SQL2012-1' WITH (ENDPOINT_URL = 'TCP://10.10.10.1:5022'); ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [AG1]  MODIFY REPLICA ON 'SQL2012-2' WITH (ENDPOINT_URL = 'TCP://10.10.10.2:5022'); ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [AG2]  MODIFY REPLICA ON 'SQL2012-1

Set Azure App Service Platform Configuration to 64 bit.

If you need to update several Azure App Services' Configuration to change the Platform setting from 32 bit to 64 bit under Configuration | General settings, this script will save you about six clicks per service and you won't forget to press the SAVE button. Ask me I know. 🙄 Login-AzureRmAccount Set-AzureRmContext  -SubscriptionName  "Your Subscription" $ResourceGroupName  =  'RG1' ,  'RG2', 'RG3' foreach  ( $g   in   $ResourceGroupName ) {       # Set PROD slot to use 64 bit Platform Setting      Get-AzureRmWebApp  -ResourceGroupName  $g  | Select Name |  %  {  Set-AzureRmWebApp  -ResourceGroupName  $g  -Name  $_ .Name  -Use32BitWorkerProcess  $false  }       # Set staging slot to use 64 bit Platform setting      Get-AzureRmWebApp  -ResourceGroupName  $g  | Select Name |  %  {  Set-AzureRmWebAppSlot  -ResourceGroupName  $g  -Name  $_ .Name  -Slot  "staging"  -Use32BitWorkerProcess  $false  }  }

AzureRM Templates 101

I've recently started working with AzureRM templates to build new environments. This document really helped me understand the template structure when I first started looking at them. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-group-authoring-templates I love examples when I'm trying to learn something new and the Quick Start templates are the mother lode.  https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates Our goal is to incorporate our templates into an Azure Blueprint so that we can quickly build new environments when needed.  AzureRM templates can be artifacts of a blueprint. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/governance/blueprints/overview